Volunteer for VITA
What is VITA? Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
The Riverworks Development Corporation Financial Clinic is recruiting for volunteers to assist in providing free tax services to members of the community who need it the most.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
Over the past 3 years, Riverworks volunteers prepared more than XXX federal and state tax returns at no cost to families putting much needed money back into their pockets.
-Money reimbursed after filed tax return=
Here are five good reasons why you should consider becoming a VITA volunteer.
1. Flexible hours. Volunteers generally serve an average of three to five hours per week. The program is usually open from mid-January through the tax filing deadline in April. A few sites are open all year.
2. VITA sites are often nearby and need your help. The Riverworks site is always located at The VIBE (518 E Concordia Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53212)
3. No prior experience needed. You’ll receive specialized training and can serve in a variety of roles. If you are fluent in another language, you may be able to help those who speak that language.
4. Free tax law training and materials. Learn how to prepare basic tax returns and learn about all the tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers.
5. Continuing education credits for tax pros. Enrolled Agents and non-credentialed tax return preparers can earn credits when volunteering as a VITA instructor, quality reviewer or tax return preparer. See the IRS fact sheet for more information on Continuing Education Credits.
General Skills Needed:
· Must be a minimum of 18 years old
· Strong customer service skills
· Friendly, dependable, flexible and a team player
· A commitment of a minimum of 30 hours during tax season
· Bilingual helpful, but not required
Volunteers receive free accredited training, help people begin to build financial assets, and are apart of a program that helps thousands of households every year. Join us in making 2019 an outstanding success by volunteering for the program and making a difference in your community.
Volunteers must attend mandatory Tax Preparation Training. Upcoming training dates will be provided upon approval of your application. ( Do we know these dates?)
In addition to completing the Volunteer Interest Form included in the volunteer description, you MUST complete and submit the Background Information Disclosure as required by the Internal Revenue Service. Do we do this?
Tax Return Service with Coretta
Tax Return Service with Shameka
Tax Return Service with Volunteer